Holidays and local festivals
1. "A Celebration of spirit and appreciation" - the City Hall and the Orastie City Council honors the families who have reached 50 years of unbroken marriage. Orastie City Hall is the first institution in Romania that has initiated such a manifestation.
2. The Orastie "Maial" - 27 May - started in the 19th century, by the Craftsmen Guild of Orastie, "maialul" was and is an urban celebration, of play and fun, meant to celebrate the most beautiful season, spring. "Maialul" is held annually on the last Sunday of May and gathers on the "Poieniţa" field, on the way out of Orastie towards Deva, hundreds of people. The outdoor show, organized for "maial", lasts late in the evening. To the stage are welcomed pop and folk singers, dancers, folk ensembles, all culminating with a fireworks display that lights up the sky at around 22.00h.
For children, the delight of the celebration is the "maial games", organized by the Children City Council of Orastie, genuine contests with prizes. Main organizers: The City Hall and Orastie City Council, Orastie House of Culture, ASTRA Orastie.
3. The Feast of Dacians - Traditional Orastie manifestation, The Feast of Dacians takes place annually in late September or early October. It includes: sport games (Dacian games), performances and concerts of folk and pop music, fireworks. Venue: Castle Square.
Trivia, in 2006, during the "Feast of Dacians", Orastie tried to enter the Guinness Book of Records by preparing the largest wheat-and-nut-sweet alms in history, designed to commemorate King Decebal. A year later, in the same context, the official unveiling of the Dacic Sign monument took place, which can be seen when entering Orastie, coming from Deva.
4. Harvest Day - 29 September - The celebration is the organizing of exhibitions, consisting of objects and figurines made by children using vegetables and fruits. Day ends with an outdoor show. Venue: Castle Square.
Main organizers: The City Hall of Orastie and the Orastie House of Culture.
5. "Tudorica Munteanu" Folk Festival - 25 October - contest festival for young soloists and instrumentalists on the brink of success. Location: the House of Culture show hall.
The competition’s aim is to discover new folk talents in the Orastie area. It is conducted on sections of age, and the performance of participants is monitored and judged by a jury after they initially went through the process of candidates selection.
6. "A leaf has fallen your way!" - 8 November - Evening of romance songs involving artists in Hunedoara county. Venue: The House of Culture, "hall of mirrors".
Organizer: The Orastie House of Culture.
7. Extraordinary concert of carols - 13 December - gala organized by the House of Culture, close to the Winter Holidays with the participation of folk singers around the country. Location: the House of Culture show hall.
8. "Orastie personalities and events" - 22 November - symposium dedicated to local personalities of culture, music, literature, art, technology, etc.
Organized by the Local Council and the Orastie Library, in collaboration with the ASTRA Association and the the Orastie House of Culture, the symposium is held annually in autumn (October), in the meeting room of the Orastie Local Council. Within it, are presented communications and essays on life and work of prominent people of Orastie, are held screenings of documentary films, and even books launchings.
9. Festival of Sacred Music "God is with us" - 1 December - annually, this festival brings together valuable choirs from across the country. Venue: "Holy Archangels Michael and Gabriel" Church (Orthodox Cathedral).
Organizers: The City Hall and the Orastie Local Council, the Orthodox Deanery, D.J.C.C.P.C.N. Hunedoara, the Orastie House of Culture.
10. Inter-County Festival "Căluşerul Transylvania" - 9 December - competition festival, with the participation of căluşer bands from several areas of the country. Location: the Orastie City Hall and the Orastie House of Culture.
The festival takes place over two days. On the first day, it's the actual competition, held on a stage of a cultural hall, whose location is determined in advance by the organizers (each year, one Hunedoara village hosts the first day of the festival).The next day, the stage of the Orastie House of Culture (enshrined location), hosts the gala of the căluşer festival.
In 2008, the Inter-County Festival "Căluşerul Transylvanian" reached 40 editions.
Main organizers: D.J.C.C.P.C.N. Hunedoara, the Orastie House of Culture.