The Evangelical Church of Augustan Confession
Entering the Castle Church, which sits amid the historic city center, the visitor notes with amazement the two churches sitting side by side in the same yard. They are like two sisters, belonging to cults that coexisted in this city since the 16th century: Evangelical Church C.A. (Lutheran) and Reformed Church.
The first building was a Roman basilica with a western tower, followed by a second building, which was a 16th century Gothic basilica. In the late 14th century and the beginning of the 15th century was built today’s choir. The remains of a sedilia have been preserved in the south wall of the choir since 1400.
- 1496 - The city and the Sibiu Provincial Treasury gives 20 gludens for the building of the Orastie church.
- 1600 - The Transylvanian Saxons held church services in the sacristy.
- 1622 - A house of prayer for the Saxons is built.
- 1816 - A new construction of the Evangelical Church is determined.
- 1820 - Begins the construction of the Evangelical Church (which is completed in 1823) on a new foundation. The church plan is made by Father Joseph Leonhard (1818-1853).
- 1823 - On September 29th the church is sanctified.
- 1981 - Major repairs to the church.
- 1720, 1722, 1741 - There is mention of an organ.
- 1823 - Construction of an 8-octave organ by Samuel Maetz. It was sold in 1904.
- 1902 - Construction of an organ with two keyboards, pedals and 23 octaves by the Gebrüder Rieger company.
- 1902 - The shrine is built by master carpenter Josef Vogel of Sighisoara. The main image shows the Resurrection and comes from Carl Dorschlag. The image is flanked by columns.
The large and the middle bells are from 1823, and the little one is from 1845.
The bell tower
- 1839 - The tower is collapsing. The salvaged material is used for the building of two towers, one for each confession.
- 1839-1842 - The new Evangelical Church bell tower is being built.
- 1840-1843 - The Reformed Church tower is being rebuilt.